Archives for August 2015

post

A Word That Could Apply Equally to Coworkers Or Crocodiles

"When first I appear, I seem deleterious, but when explained, I am nothing serious." -- Into the Woods (I wonder if the mysterious old man got tired of answering that question.)

“When first I appear, I seem deleterious, but when explained, I am nothing serious.” — Into the Woods (I wonder if the mysterious old man got tired of answering that question.)

post

I’d Like to Have a Word with Word about Grammar

I wish Word would stop trying to correct my grammar. If I only wrote simple sentences with a minimum use of phrases (only prepositions and infinitives, perhaps), then, it might be right more often (maybe – I’m not sure). As it is, it’s incorrect at least 99% of the time because it doesn’t understand complex clauses, phrases, or punctuation. Of the other 1%, at least half of it is made up of sentences that are deliberately written somewhat incorrectly as part of artistic license (such as fragments, formatting, or dialect).

Yes, I realize that I can probably find a way to turn it off. What worries me, however, is that there may be people who rely on it – people who do not know grammar well enough to know if that wavy green line is right or wrong. What then? Even if they assume their grammar is wrong based on that line, how can they correct it without knowing why it’s wrong? What about all the errors that it does not catch? Will they begin to believe that those errors are correct grammar?

It’s a scary thought.

post

Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors by the Flying Karamazov Brothers: Talk about Juggling Lines!

I have always enjoyed William Shakespeare’s plays, but I also don’t believe in taking things too seriously. This rendition of Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors definitely does not have that problem! It’s silly, it’s raunchy, and it’s ridiculous.

It’s a Vaudevillian juggling troupe – what do you expect?

post

Just for Fun: If Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet Were Performed by an Actor with Malapropism Problems

This is wordplay purely for fun. If you want to play, follow the instructions, and don’t peek ahead!

Shakespeare as you've never heard it before! Maybe, if Romeo were really drunk... or had malapropism problems. (Sorry, Shakespeare!)

Shakespeare as you’ve never heard it before! Maybe, if Romeo were really drunk… or had malapropism problems. (Sorry, Shakespeare!)